Osteoarthritis and medical therapy.

Please post any new innovations or advanements in medicine and healthcare
siby

Osteoarthritis and medical therapy.

Post by siby » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 am

Are there any drugs recently in the market to treat osteoarthritis (apart from the usual NSAIDs and analgesics)? I heard about some expensive drugs being used in Kerala and possibly other places. Are they of any benefit?
Siby

bibugeorge

Re: Osteoarthritis and medical therapy.

Post by bibugeorge » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Not that I have heard of, Siby. Are you talking about glucosamine and chondroitin tablets? If so, they are not generally recommended.

Recommended treatment modalities for OA (especially of knee) include exercies, weight reduction, braces especially if there is a deformity, oral analgesics and topical antiinflamatories and corticosteroid injections.

Of course TKR is very good procedure, with success rates above 90%, but with potentially huge complications.

Not recommended (but used widely) are things like chondroitin and glucosamine medications, and arthroscopic washout. (but arthroscopy will be useful if there is meniscal or loose body symptoms).

Another treatment being followed closely is hyaluronan intraarticular injections. They are not recommended at the moment but may have marginal benefits.

reena

Post by reena » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Siby,
There is injection of hyaluronic acid into the knee joint (viscosupplementation therapy) which is considered to be a new procedure.
Reena

siby

Post by siby » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks for your comments Bibu and Reena.
The tablet I mentioned is marketed in India as 'SAMMY' which is essentially S adenosyl methionine. It is probably similar to Glucosamine, chondroitin etc. But it is quite expensive. Just wondering if these drugs provide any benefit or are just gimmicks.
(In UK, US etc. a similar product seems to exist 'SAMe')

http://www.prdomain.com/companies/W/Woc ... 847657.htm
Siby