Apple Macbook! I finally took the plunge

Please post any new innovations or advanements in medicine and healthcare
biju

Apple Macbook! I finally took the plunge

Post by biju » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:50 am

Guys
After careful deliberations, online research, taunts from Mac diehards and innumerable hours of hand-wringing over the wisdom of the (1) transfer from PC to Mac (2) the extra amount I would have to shell out in comparison to a contemporary Windows based laptop, I have finally found the courage to join the increasing bunch of Mac converts! :lol:
I am hoping the moment of truth, when the package arrives gives me the pleasure it is supposed to give, in terms of looks, credibility, features and functionality. Fingers crossed! It will take 10 days to arrive.
I have gone for the middle option Mac book with 2.2 GHz Core2 Duo and Dual layer DVD rewriter Super drive. I went a step further, upgrading the memory to 2 GB, anticipating video editing and movie creation, especially with my 2 children generating plenty of video footage.

Anyone in UK with similar intentions, check out http://www.nhsdiscounts.com. They give 6% off on all orders. Siby, I know you are contemplating a Macbook. Feeling tempted? 8)
Will keep you posted.
Last edited by biju on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIJU JOSE

DrSunil

Re: Apple Macbook! Finally took the plunge

Post by DrSunil » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:21 am

Hi biju, can you please explain the Mac advantage? Infact I havent seen one yet...
And for video capture and editing which software do you use?

biju

Post by biju » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:05 am

Sunil,
That is the question I have been asking various people, all die-hard Mac fans, for some time! I have not found a dissatisfied Mac user yet.

They are a motivated lot, the Mac owners.

We have a male nurse, who is something of a 'Siby', a computer wizard. He has been the most persuasive. Then my previous boss, who is into big time multimedia creation. He was in the process of creating a DVD on diabetes, aimed at patients, to be sold via local family practices; that means he had to convince the family doctors first, of its quality.

The advantages
The catchy and trendy design - it still turns heads. The white version is a cute little monster :)
The stability - apparently the platform itself is so stable, that it rarely hangs or crashes.
The security - it seems you don't really need an antivirus or security suite as it is all in-built in the Mac OS, the latest version being 10.5 otherwise called Leopard.
The multimedia options - The equivalent of MS office, called 'iwork 08', comes with Pages 08(word application), Numbers 08 (a spreadsheet) and Keynote 08 (the most attractive component, its powerpoint equivalent). If you see one presentation made with Keynote, you would convert instantly for just that reason. Apparently even the MS Office 2007 cannot hold a candle to this. It is bloody impressive. Then the ilife 08 gives you all the photo and video editing options you need; and it is pre loaded on all macbooks.
It also comes with an Apple remote!
Speed - with duo processors, the speed is at its best. Apparently Apple machines have always been remarkably faster than PCs, the reason is supposed to be the platform.
The intuitive desktop programme called Frontrow, which apparently is even better with the new Leopard OS.
And, if you are still hung over from your windows days, you can run windows on the Mac too! There is an innovative software called Bootcamp, which lets you run W XP and Vista at native speed from a partitioned boot drive on the Mac.
So, features galore!
If you want more info, check this out http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

Now the disadvantages.
Price - It is double the price of a decent spec (nothing flashy) PC laptop. But when you go for the top spec PC laptops (which is what you should compare a Macbook to), the price difference is not big. It is cheaper than some Sonys. Again the trouble with Macbooks is that there is no cheap option, the starting price is double the starting price of a PC laptop!
'Fear of unknown' - I guess everyone will feel the same when trying to convert to a new idea, after years of using a completely different system.
Pirated software - NO WAY! There is no option for using pirated/ hacked versions of softwares. But that probably is part of Mac's stability and security. For me personally, this is probably not a big deal - I had not used a pirated software on my windows for over a year.
index_frontrow20071026.jpg
SO there is your answer Sunil, as others see it.

Once I get mine, I will write a review as I see it. 8)
Last edited by biju on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIJU JOSE

siby

Post by siby » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:44 pm

I think that is a good decision Biju. I think of apple whenever I see my PC laptop crashes!
For standard applications, I feel apple is better. It is faster than Pc for the same speed processor and more importantly rarely crashes. Another advantage (which could be a disadvantage for me) is that apple provides a comprehensive package of applications. 3rd party applications are less compared to pc. As I like to try out new applications and do reinstal OS every now and then and try out different hardware etc, I still carry on with my old pc laptop.
Interestingly apple's OS is cheaper than windows (i hope Biju will be getting their latest OS termed 'leopard') and their office suite is cheaper than MS office.
There are only few viruses for macs, so probably safer.
Biju, let us know once you have fiddled with yours. You can also post some pics.
Siby

biju

Re: Apple Macbook! I finally took the plunge

Post by biju » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:05 am

Thanks for the moral support Siby. But there is still that lingering thought at the back of my mind .... is it really?

I agree, the ease of trying out new softwares and the periodical formatting is the main attraction for Windows. I do that as well. For me, my current PC is a desktop, with a pretty good configuration even after 4 years, which I have upgraded to its current specs over time. So I have the option of a good Windows back up if needed.
The reason I want a laptop now is the portability. I find it rather difficult when I go for conferences and meetings, especially where there is a presentation or poster, not having one with me to look things up or practice. A PDA for that purpose is inadequate.

Yes I shall post some pics, once I get my hands on it.
BIJU JOSE

biju

Post by biju » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:10 am

Also Siby,
Mine will ship with Leopard OS, according to their website.
And I have ordered the iwork 08 from Amazon. It is only 44 GBP. On Apple site it is 55 GBP. Even then, much cheaper than the Office suite.
BIJU JOSE

DrSunil

Post by DrSunil » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi Biju, having apple book has become my fancy too!But to take them for conferences...mm..If you are presenting ,yes,otherwise? I prefer my nokia 7710 pdaphone...I write notes on it..Have you tried imate jasjar? Is it good?

biju

Post by biju » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:55 pm

Sunil,
I have been using PDAs for 3 -4 years now. I have it on me all the time at work. It is a great little tool for daily stuff, having reference textbooks on the go, medical calculators to impress colleagues etc. But as a replacement for a laptop, .... not really.

Moreover, Apple Macbook is in a different league. 8)
It has an appeal of its own. Not even other laptops have that.

Good Heavens! Can you believe it! I am already turning into a Mac fan, even before I have the damn thing in my hands. I hope this is all justified :o
BIJU JOSE

biju

Post by biju » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:38 pm

DrSunil wrote: And for video capture and editing which software do you use?
Currently on my Windows PC I use Pinnacle Studio 10 for capture and editing. i also have Ulead Videostudio, which I have only used on a couple of occsions really.
BIJU JOSE

biju

Post by biju » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:09 pm

Yippeee...
My Macbook has arrived.
But just my luck, I am on call today until 2100 hrs. So, still waiting to get my hands on it. Can't wait....
BIJU JOSE

DrSunil

Post by DrSunil » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:21 pm

now waiting for your review... 8)

biju

Post by biju » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:47 pm

I am posting this from my macbook, half asleep :)
It is beautiful. The graphics are fantastic.
First impression is pleasing, extremely so.
BIJU JOSE

DrSunil

Post by DrSunil » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:51 am

impatient....

biju

Post by biju » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:11 pm

Sorry guys!
My little son was unwell with a viral fever and had to be hospitalised as he was dehydrated and his temp would not come down. So .....

In a couple of days, hopefully...
BIJU JOSE

DrSunil

Post by DrSunil » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:18 pm

We wish him a speedy recovery...

biju

Post by biju » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Guys
My son is back home and fully recovered. Thanks for the wishes.

And finally I have had a chance to play with my macbook. I am posting from it.
Here are some snaps.

I am a total novice to Mac. So not surprisingly I am clueless about most functions. It took me several hours to work out how to activate right click on the touch pad!

The appearance is very snazzy, with glossy white finish, which is very captivatig, unlike most black or grey laptops.
The start up is quick. The machine is incredibly silent, not even a hum! The keyboard is very responsive with a neat, but solid feel. There is a built in webcam, which is pretty good. It has even got a cute white remote control.

The graphics and the interface are the most striking. The ilife and iwork is still quite new to me. I shall post later when I am a bit more familiar with those. It is a whole new world.

There you go, for the time being......

If any of our friends, especially the US ones use Mac, any tips would be welcome.
Attachments
P1010484.jpg
P1010482.jpg
P1010481.jpg
P1010478.jpg
BIJU JOSE

siby

Post by siby » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Am not taking part in the discussion, but a word abt vista. I have used vista, which obviously is more impressive to look at and has some useful features compared to xp. But it needs more resources to run including more hard disk space and memory. Performance wise xp edges slightly better against vista. But the main problem with vista is compatibility. Many drivers and many software even have compatibility issues with vista, which is getting better as more companies are producing vista products. Am sure things will be better after an year or so. But I still use xp.
Siby

biju

Post by biju » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:04 pm

Siby,
So you would recommend XP rather than Vista, right? What softwares are you worried about with compatibility issues? Is it the softwares we really need or the ones we tend to try out?

Also, do you know how to make a copy of the original windows XP with the updated SP2 as part of it? To run XP on Macbook using Bootcamp, you need the SP2-updated XP CD, as during installation, you cant download SP2 like we do with XP on Windows PC.
BIJU JOSE

siby

Post by siby » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Biju, if you are sure that you have got the correct vista drivers for mac and going to use only standard/essential applications like office, vista shouldn't be a problem.
I am not sure how to make xp2 cd from ur current cd and you can't ask this to microsoft as you are, in theory, duplicating the licence for a single machine.
But you could try 30 day period of xp or use one of those 'activation free' cds.
microsoft office, Kaspersky 7, Nero 8 etc. are all vista compatible.
You could install vista from a trial DVD without any serial no for 30 days.
Siby

kannanvaidyanathan

Post by kannanvaidyanathan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:37 am

Hi, just a word about vista. i ve got a new sony vaio which of course runs only on vista. i had a few problems initially (like hanging) which was ok when personlaized. due to these discussions i asked the engineers about the softwares. what they told was vista is extremely sensitive to use and pirated softwares can cause major problems. i dont know if the softwares siby was referring to were pirated or not? i am not an expert by any means, but i thought i ll share this info.

siby

Post by siby » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:17 pm

I was talking about softwares in general, not pirated. But recently many softwares are vista compatible. As with all microsoft products, it becomes more stable with service packs. I think vista service pack 1 will be available by march /april.
It is true that vista has got some new features than xp and in theory more secure. But stability may not be better than xp at the moment, but will improve with service pack. But it definitely will need more resources to run in terms of RAM and hard disk space and graphics. Considering the fact that all types of computer memory are expanding exponentially, I think vista is probably a good option at this point especially for preconfigured computers like laptops.
Siby