Metformin and gestational diabetes

Please post any new innovations or advanements in medicine and healthcare
siby

Metformin and gestational diabetes

Post by siby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:03 pm

If I am right, insulin used to be be the only drug for pregnant diabetics. But metformin seems to have become popular now a days in pregnant women, with or without insulin. Metformin has apparently got other effects as well. Anybody got more information?
Siby

biju

Re: Metformin and gestational diabetes

Post by biju » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi Siby,
You are right. We are routinely using Metformin in our new GDMs and pre-existing T2Ds who become pregnant.
NICE recommended its use in 2008 in their revised guidelines
See sections 1.1.6.1 (page 12) and 1.2.2.12 (page 18) in http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG063Guidance.pdf

And yes, metformin is used in ladies with PCOS.
BIJU JOSE

kannanvaidyanathan

Post by kannanvaidyanathan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:50 pm

What is the current treatment approach for metabolic syndrome. I am aware that the diagnostic criteria for metabolic syndrome has changed, IDF says any three of the 5 parameters, viz., raised BP, raised TG, raised waist circumference, low HDL and raised glucose is sufficient for diagnosis. Raised waist circumference is not a must as described earlier. Is there any active treatment regimen needed, or is it prophylactic ?

biju

Post by biju » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Reduce insulin resistance - weight loss (life style, pharmacotherapy, bariatric surgery) and treat components. But I guess weight loss would result in 'curing' (as bariatric surgeons claim) of most of the components.
BIJU JOSE